Monday, September 8, 2008

New Day, Same Minstrel Show

I must say, this blog is therapeutic. There is so much that I want to say, and do in life, and these pictures allow me to be thankful for the opportunity to pursue my dreams. To pursue them unmolested, minus the typical dis-enfranchisement. I find it strange to place a distressed people into the entertainment industry. It reminds me of German soldiers making Jewish prisoners dance while waving pistols in the air, and shooting at their feet. These pictures show the abuse of power, rank, and bigotry. Yet, I am barbaric, savage, and uncouth? To perform under such humiliating conditions makes the performance seem laborious. How can you sing under oppression? How can you dance and be joyful? We were, and still are, some of the greatest actors in the world. I say this because we continue to act as if this doesn't affect us. To have a history of shame publicized and broadcasted in your face is dehumanizing, yet, to continue in this state is even worse. The enclosed pictures makes me feel proud and sad simultaneously. I am proud to be able to express my God given rights without fear of retaliation or reprove, yet I am heartbroken by the humiliation my ancestors had to endure. To make matters worse, I still see the same minstrel shows displayed, be it the NBA, or the entertainment industry. Before I go on a rant, I would like to commend others that are taking on ventures such as mines, and using this freedom and technology to engage others on issue that are sensitive in nature (such as this one). Nigger, implies so much to me because in these pictures I see resiliency and pain intertwined. Nigger, became a social distinction, sort of like the badges the Jews had to make and wear in the society. Badges that signified their inferior position. Our badge of shame was our skin, and for that God-given reason alone we were distinguished as undesirables. I say nigger, because many chose not to deal with this word, but we must deal with the characteristics that makes one fit the character. Niggers do exist, and they were created from the image, of corrupt minds. Niggers are products of the thinking of another, just like the prostitute is the reflection of her pimp. Under the pimps instruction she will continue to whore herself out until she either breaks free, or die in her filth. Such is the nigger. Dr. Carter G Woodson, in the Miseducation of the Negro said: The problem of holding the Negro down is easily solved. When you control a mans thinking you do not have to worry about his actions. You do not have to tell him not to stand here or go yonder. He will find his "proper place" and will stay in it. You do not need to send him to the back door. He will go without being told. In fact, if there is no back door, he will cut one for his special benefit. His education makes it necessary. There are those that believe that we are intellectually inferior, and that slavery was a great thing for such uncontrollable beings. I strive to prove this logic faulty, and expose those that feel this way. We have a rich heritage, that covers numerous spheres of activities from kings, queens, governors, warriors, scientist,etc. Even though today emphasis is placed on our athletic and sexual prowess, we are intellectually capable of answering today's challenges, just as we answered them in the past. Our haters think and advocate otherwise, and for this purpose, this blog was born. Yes, from out of that crux of a realization. To have to perform under such humiliation conditions makes the performance seem laborious. How can you sing under oppression? How can you dance and be joyful? We were and still are some of the greatest actors in the world. I say this because we continue to act as if this doesn't affect us. To have a history of shame publicized and broadcasted in your face is dehumanizing, yet, to continue in this state is even worse. Even though I present these pictures of shame, I only do so in hopes of enraging, you, the reader. Possibly igniting within you a extreme dislike for your own lack of concern and pre-occupation with trivial matters, such as when does so and so drop their mix tape, or what will this celebrity do next. Chances are, they will not make a move in this direction, but will probably continue to carry on the tradition of bojangling, and tap dancing for approval. We are past that, and this blogs purpose is to bring together like-minded individuals who want to connect, reflect, and break chains. These chains are pyschological in nature, and will require a group effort. With that said, I give you, my soul....

No comments: